If you are not convinced of the power of social media, you just need to take a moment and look at Facebook, the mother of all social platforms. It has the greatest reach, the most features and best advertising platform of any network, by far.
The Facebook numbers are astounding, but are they in your favor? As a small restaurant in a local suburb, does it matter that there are 1.44 billion people on Facebook? The answer is yes. It doesn’t matter that there are over a billion users that will ever know about your restaurant. But it matters because this means that the people in your neighbor, near your restaurant, are on Facebook and can be reached.
- As of April 1, 2015, there are more than 1.44 billion monthly active users on Facebook.
- Of those 1.44 billion users, 1.25 billion are using Facebook from a mobile device (a smartphone or tablet).
- 800 million of these people use the Facebook mobile app on a daily basis.
- Locally, there are more than 3.5 million FB users in the city of Chicago alone (or 4.5 million with suburbs).
- 25% of Facebook users have posted positive comments on a brand page.
- 47% of Facebook users believe that FB is the quickest social channel to solve customer service issues.
GETTING THE MOST FROM FACEBOOK
While Facebook is a global force in social media, its real power comes from the ability to make connections locally. Restaurants can use this platform to reach their neighbors more effectively and more affordably than with most any other marketing tool. Here are a few Facebook tips to maximize the effectiveness of your digital marketing efforts.
- Make sure you fill out your profile completely, including the correct hours of operations, phone number and website information.
- Create engaging posts with powerful graphics and links to your website. Invest in some great photos of your food for use online.
- Cultivate a community around your brand and don’t just talk about your food.
- Try offering unique call-to-actions that are measurable (like giveaways, deals, etc.).
- Post regularly, respond to comments and thank users for shares.
- Plan on spending some money boosting your posts to your audience. Organic reach is often under 5%. So without advertising, less than 5 out of every 100 fans will see your content.
- Learn how to create hypertargeted advertisements using the Facebook Power Editor.
- Respond to every review left on your page. Fix bad situations publicly and thank people for positive reviews.